✼ “To collect, store, preserve, restore and display examples of past life in Maleny so we can effectively tell and show the story of our community.
✼ To offer an affordable facility to all groups that quality within our vision to promote a notable tourist destination for Maleny.
✼ To foster other community groups with similar aims and to partner with established Maleny organisations to enhance both the residents and visitor’s experience of our town.
“Lawley House” was built in the early 1900s for Edward Lawley at the top of Teak Street, where Cloudwalk is today. In 2008 the farm was sold and the house was about to be demolished. The Society rescued the house and it too was relocated to the Maleny Pioneer Village. It displays the history of the Timber & Dairy Industries and interesting items relevant to Maleny’s history. The collection includes 3 dolls with providence to Maleny’s history –
* German Parian doll C 1880 that belonged to Jane (Trail) Hankinson (currently undergoing preservation)
* Kathleen (Porter) Wilson’s celluloid doll
* Jean (Dunlop) Madden’s celluloid doll
“Glenferna” was shifted to Pioneer Village in 2016 after the Maleny Schools’ Centenary. The house was built in 1903 by Edward Thynne as a farmhouse and was shifted from 1010 Maleny/Landsborough Rd. Glenferna was a Receiving Office for mail from 1904 – 1912. Many families lived in the house over the years, including Arthur & Mary Cork and their 11 children – for almost 40 years from 1915 – 1949. The property was an Art Union prize farm in 1976. The winner tenanted the house and leased the farm until the property recently sold to Brian & Leone McFarlane. They donated the house to the Historical Society. The house was restored by over 100 volunteers with grants, donations and support from the public. It was opened in June 2019 by the Governor of Queensland, His Excellency the Hon Paul de Jersey. The house has displays of Maleny’s History of Education, Telecommunication to Maleny and will soon display a magnificent collection of 600 porcelain dolls that has recently been gifted to the Society.
The Pioneer Village also has displays of machinery, farm equipment & the old Maleny Police Station lock up. Other groups also operate from Pioneer Village:
* The Blackall Range Horseless Carriage Club
* Maleny Men’s Shed. The Men’s shed operate the Blacksmith’s shop and have a second shed about to be constructed.
* Pioneer Ukulele Group
The Pioneer Village is currently closed because of the coronavirus but you can find us on our very active Facebook page and at http://www.historicalsocietymaleny.com We always welcome new members! please contact Desley Malone at email@example.com if you are interested in joining.